Monday, November 19, 2012

Unit V Reflection - My Pinterest Addiction


Funny Workplace Ecard: Real teachers work year-round, even if it's just pinning ideas to Pinterest in the Summer. Sounds like legitimate professional development to me.

I'm not sure where to start a conversation about Pinterest. I guess a good starting point would be to say that Pinterest is quite possibly the single greatest website ever developed. Pinterest is full of new recipes to try, home decorating tips, and tons of wardrobe ideas. That's all great, but what really got me hooked on Pinterest is the wealth of classroom ideas and resources that I have been turned on to since I started using Pinterest!

A quick search for "bulletin board ideas" or "classroom organization" and three hours later my eyes are tired and I have tons of ideas swimming around in my head. Pinterest has evolved since its inception in 2010. In the early days, Pinterest was by invitation-only. You had to know someone who knew someone who was someone's cousin, I suppose. Thankfully, I got the invite and I was in!


I do believe "Classroom" was the first pinboard I created. I feel like immediately I was bombarded by cool ideas from teachers! Most of the ideas I see on Pinterest are pinned from teachers' or homeschooling blogs. I find that more and more often my peers and I find ourselves in deep conversation about all the cool lesson and classroom ideas we have come across on Pinterest! We follow each others' boards so that we can feed off each other's ideas. I feel like Pinterest is by far one of the easiest ways to collaborate and share classroom ideas now.

I do check Pinterest quite frequently, whether I am looking for a recipe, a classroom idea, or a new cleaning technique. I do spend much more time on the site than I would like to admit. Pinterest is particularly dangerous since the development of the android and iPhone apps. Quite often I find myself looking at classroom management techniques and suddenly realizing that what I really should be doing is keeping my eyes on the road... kidding, mostly.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment